With our 2020 opening of state-of-the-art facilities, Foxhall Equine in Fallston, Maryland, Dr. Chris Smith DVM is uniquely providing the full range of veterinary services, injury treatment, rehabilitation and athletic conditioning for equine athletes. Dr. Smith’s visionary and comprehensive practice model is designed to focus on the full range of services needed by your horse, eliminating the challenge of seeking these services from a variety of sources. From the time that Dr. Smith was an equestrian himself, having been a rider for the American Barrel Horse Association, his embrace of outstanding care for horses has evolved, culminating in the opening of Foxhall Equine.
Over time, and now with opening this amazing facility, Dr. Smith has surrounded himself with a talented team that is totally dedicated to the health, safety and performance of our clients’ horses. Dr. Smith has equipped Foxhall Equine not only with the best people, he has outfitted this facility with the best equipment available, taking advantage of the best practices of the best veterinarians everywhere.
Among the equipment and therapies Dr. Smith’s clients can access, Foxhall Equine has an equine cold saltwater spa (ECB Coldwater Spa) that has proven to be an incredibly effective method of equine therapy that is used to both treat and prevent injuries, virtually addressing all lower leg injuries. This drug-free therapy can also be used to increase mobility and reduce swelling in the limbs both before and after competitive events.
The equine cold saltwater spa at Foxhall Equine is effective for a number of reasons:
- Temperature – Saltwater, chilled between 35 and 37 degrees, will remove heat and inflammation, while providing analgesic pain reduction. Saltwater also inhibits enzyme degeneration in injured tendons.
- Salt Concentration – The salt solution in our equine cold saltwater spa acts as a poultice with heat reduction and natural healing.
- Aeration – This causes a massaging effect on the leg and increases the dissolved oxygen content of the equine cold saltwater spa solution.
- Depth - Water depth is adjustable depending upon the position and severity of injury.
- Dissolved oxygen – Water at these reduced temperatures has the capacity to carry oxygen increases, thus enhancing the horse’s natural defense systems, similar to the use of a hyperbaric chamber for people.
Equine cold saltwater spa therapy is used to treat a number of conditions including Laminitis, Tendonitis, Desmitis, Arthritis, Hoof Injuries, Shin Splints, Jar Up, Bursitis/Synovitis and Open Wounds and Infections. Clearly, therapy with an equine cold saltwater spa is both versatile and effective in treating a broad range of conditions. Additionally, in terms of prevention and strengthening, therapy with cold saltwater can improve surface bone density, reducing the opportunity for bone stress related injuries to occur.
Your equestrian athlete deserves the best – and this is what we deliver at Foxhall Equine. Check us out and find out what all of the excitement is about with our new, outstanding facilities and the best team of professionals available to care for your horse, whatever your goals might be. Call us today at 410.406.1600 and we will work together on providing the ultimate in equine veterinary services, rehabilitation and conditioning for your equine athlete.